August 20, 2008

Silver Lining after all!

Since I drove to New Carrollton this morning instead of taking the MARC, I had to buy a SmartTrip Card in order to get out of the garage! So this afternoon I get to New Carrollton and and proceed to try and buy my SmartTrip card. As I exit the fare gate I cross the way to the row of pass/farecards and farecards machines. I figured Pass = SmartTrip card and proceed to enter my cash. Um no.... luckily I didn't purchase it. I look around thinking I am going to need to ask for help :P station managers are all tied up with tourists trying to get kids through the fare gates correctly!

Then I notice 2 machines over by the ATMs... mosey over. yep SmartTrip . and they only deal in $10! I need $13.25 ( 5 base for the card and $8.25 (according to wmata.com) to pay for parking), so I purchase my card and wait for a receipt... no receipt comes out, keep hitting # nothing. Then I think maybe it wants my PIN, so I try that... nope...then I decide well I need to go back to the other machines and load up some more money and I can check if it has the $5 fare. It did ... I add $10 more and off I go! (and actually only $6.25 was deducted for parking)

The drive home was actually pretty good... so now I guess it is good that I have the SmarTrip card so when I go to happy hour in DC, I won't need to wait for a MARC late in the evening ( after 6:30/7pm... they only run about 1 per hour so it really sucks if you miss the train you are aiming for)... I can just drive in!

0 comments: