August 17, 2008


So after the show my friend (here after referred to as C) and I both said the word to describe the whole event was "surreal". and really it was.

But let's rewind.

After the Pearl Jam East Coast tour earlier this summer, speculation was high that Vedder would announce an East Coast solo tour (he did a west coast version in the spring). And at the beginning of July it was announced. Alas , C and I got shutout on both 10Club presales and the TicketMaster sales about a week later. C assured me that tickets are released closer to day of show (based on his spring tour), and so we kept checking back and we scored orchestra seats Thursday.

We met for dinner at Elephant & Castle (along with what appeared to be 100 other 10club members, LOL).

I have never been to the Warner Theater. So this was a total new experience for me. It is tiny but beautiful inside. Liam Finn opened, he was OK as far as openers go.

Vedder came out and I immediately went into picture taking mode (and was immediately accosted by a security guard - no photos allowed ...he wanted me to check my camera but I managed to talk him into letting me keep it and just put it away (I knew if I checked it I would most probably leave without it). So no more pictures... for a while ;)

Setlist was great (mix of Pearl Jam, Vedder solo stuff, and covers), he played for about 3 hours....they were filming for what was suspected to be an upcoming DVD. But it was just weird... after the opening song Vedder asked everyone to sit down....then people started screaming out songs along with many men screaming out "I love You Eddie!!" then other people would loudly shush them. Lots of political talk, and also some very funny schtick... yes ladies and gentlemen Eddie Vedder is a comedian!

After the first encore started it was like camera watch was over, and they started on pot watch, so cameras were broken out again..but it was still a bit stealth until the final encore, which is why my pics suck so bad :-/

I am glad I went, but one Vedder solo show is enough for me, I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt :D . C is going back tonight for the second show... she pulled Row A at the last minute yesterday from Ticketmaster.

(oh - and for those keeping track... Vedder did not play Better Man of which I was quite happy because that is my least favorite PJ song - so much so that when they play it at shows I am at I sit down in protest... obviously this would not have worked at Warner... C and I discussed and I probably would have had to stand up and face the back of teh venue to protest :-P)

2 comments:

Lyss said...

Sounds like a great show! Glad you had fun!

michelle said...

thanks! it was fun!!