August 24, 2008

By now I am sure you had heard about Barack Obama's plan to announce his VP nominee via text message, and if you signed up you would be the first to know! ( After Obama and the actual choice... I guess :P)

I of course signed up!

Here is how it all unfolded for me this past Friday (when speculation reached a fever pitch that the txt would go out sometime Friday, prior to the scheduled press conference on Saturday).

5pm-ish In AC, after long day on Boardwalk relaxing for a few in the hotel room prior to dinner, etc. CNN comes on Wolf and other pundits are speculating. Based on the live camera shots of homes of Biden, Warner, Other guy, and an airplane I thought the announcement was immenint. I checked the BlackBerry. No txt from Obama.

We left for dinner sometime around 7 I think and I maybe checked the BB a few times between then and 9. Still no txt. Off to play craps. I guess we played craps till around 1:30am? Then off to a BlackJack table.

Somewhere around 2am I checked the BB again and saw a txt from CNN (dated 12:49am)... Yep... Breaking News Obama has picked Biden.

My txt from Obama arrived at 3:13am !

Then WTOP thought they would get in on the fun, and they sent me a Breaking News txt at 10:30am.

I know its impossible for all SMS texts to be delivered at the same time, but a difference of 2.5 hours!?

WOW! I guess I know why I am signed up for those CNN news alerts! :D

0 comments: