January 14, 2009

UPDATES - 3 more items added to list.

Getting ready to officially start the search. First thing to do is make a list of Must Haves and Nice to Haves.

1) Location - Right now I have not settled on a specific location. I would like to be inside the beltway, on the Maryland side. within walking distance to Orange/Blue/Green/Yellow line (but if a bus stop is nearby and can get me there in 15 minutes....I'll take it!). I am so far considering... Cheverly, Hyattsville, and a big chunk of NE (where I can map out houses on ZipRealty - thanks D!) I have a CityPaper from this summer that focused on DC neighborhoods, that I can use to get more details.

2) Central AC - its a must!

3) Up-to-Date fuse box, plumbing, windows, and roof - these are leaning very heavy on the must have side :-)

3) No Upstairs neighbors - Must have!

4)Do not share property-lines with renters - it's a must!

5) Gas cooking - Must!

6) Fireplace - Nice to have

7) 1.5 baths - Must

8) 2 bedrooms - Must

9)Garage - Nice to have

10) Pre-assigned parking - Nice to have... but almost Must ;)

11) Lots of closet space - including walk-in master... linen closet, and kitchen pantry.

12) No neighbors that leave dogs out to bark all day (thanks mom!)

13) House is not on a road with a double yellow-line

14) No heat pump - must have

It's a lot and I know I will have to compromise... but better to aim high! :D

Trying to set up the meeting with the realtor for next week, since my ceiling should be painted Sunday!

4 comments:

Robin said...

#3 in entirety and #11 will be very difficult to find in those areas with the ages of the homes, but you never know. I hope if you're looking in my 'hood you'll let me tag along... I'm a total house-stalker!

Anonymous said...

I vote for plenty of parking for guests. No one likes to go to the house where you have to park a mile away.

an orange county girl said...

definitely, definitely aim high. especially in this market.

also, not having upstairs neighbors is awesome. i kinda feel bad for the people below us, especially when the kitties are getting into all sorts of loud trouble.

Anonymous said...

I bet it must be exciting to be looking, wondering what you might be able to find and what your new location will be like. :)