January 18, 2009


The photo above is the "before" photo. And that patch is no longer! I now have a uniformly white ceiling again.

So about 2 weeks ago I found 2 painters using my local community Yahoo! group. And I had them come out to give me an estimate. (I briefly talked about my ceiling at Thanksgiving and my brother-in-law indicated the job would be about $350-$400.)

Painter #1

He showed, on time. Then proceeded to walk around my condo, and count steps (I guess he was counting square footage). He asked if I still had paint left that matched the wall colors because he indicated since the ceiling was textured it wasn't that easy to do the "edging". I replied that I did. - Estimate - $603 (listing that he was charging me for labor, 3 gallons of paint, and drop cloths).


Painter #2

He showed, 30 minutes late. I pointed out the area I needed painted. He asked me if I already had the paint. I said no. He looked around, and said $350. I said I would make a final decision in a few days.

Then I went back to painter #1 and said that I thought he included the sunroom in the estimate and I didn't need that room done, and asked if he wanted to submit another estimate. He knocked $25 off.

Needles to say I went with painter #2.

He showed, 30 minutes late, with 2 helpers, and his own previously used drop cloths.
Ceiling looks great! No edging issues.

0 comments: