December 1, 2008

Saturday night a friend and I went to a Pros in the City event. We attended a 4 minute mini-dating event. It was held at Cafe Soleil in DC (last call at 10pm- crazy!).

Basically the premise is this.... An even number of guys and gals sit at tables and the guys rotate every 4 minutes. So you meet every member of the opposite sex there, and make small talk (or whatever you want to talk about).

So if you know me you know I hate making small talk with people I don't know (actually I am pretty uncomfortable talking to people I don't know in general.... it takes me a while to "warm up" - this is why Potluck Bitch trying to force me into some "friendship" is really not going the way PB wants it to go :P) ... so this was definitely out of my comfort zone!

Going in ... I had no real expectations except hoping that I wasn't stuck sitting at a table staring at someone! Luckily that didn't happen :D There were some characters there, but no one that I felt a connection with....

One guy brought out a mini-hungry-hungry hippo game... for those people where he felt the convo was dragging :P Probably because when he asked me what I did, after I responded he told me he was IT Porject manager, and proceeded to ask me about a software design concept (test driven development).

Me: Never heard of it

Hippo Guy: Yeah... that's the question I use to see if someone is lying to me about what they do.

Me: Thinking to myself... OMG did this guy just call me a liar??!? :P

Other than that the evening went fine :)

Afterwards my friend and I got a drink from the bar (we were parched! with all that talking... I wish they had water at each station) and mingled. Shortly after 10pm (aka Last Call) we left and went to another bar/club with a few participants...and hung out for a while...actually a long while... I didn't get home until almost 3am :P

I am glad I did it...and may even do it again! (or another event... like Rock Climbing!!)

0 comments: