October 20, 2008

This weekend I went to look at electric fireplaces. The battle is basically half way done, because I know the exact model that I want. I just need to find a dealer that sells it and will install it (because it will need to be mounted to the wall, and I want the electric outlet moved so that it will be behind the fireplace... no exposed wires!).

The first place I went to didn't have the model but stated that they would call manufacturers that they work with to see what they could find, so I left my contact info and went on my way. The next place... had the brand and model! So then I started asking questions about installation, they salesman looked at me like I had 2 heads... "Uh... we don't do that". So I thanked him for his time and left.

Is it wrong to expect (or at least have the option to pay for) full service including installation? This is why I no longer shop at Home Depot -- because when I went looking for above the stove microwave's they wouldn't do the installation - I eventually ordered from Lowes and had a handyman do the actual install).

I could ask my Dad or other friends to help with the install but I do not like doing that... I am happy to pay retailer to do the additional work, and you would think they would be happy to take my money... it's obvious now to me that the economy is in crisis... both places that I went to look had no one else in the store and I was waited on as soon as I walked in the door (this never happens...ohhh except when I have my Burberry bag and am shopping at Nordstrom :P).

If the first retailer doesn't come up with any options, I will probably order the fireplace online and have my handyman do the install... he is more than happy to take my money :)

0 comments: