October 31, 2008


It had been brewing for a while. After the last post, Mr. Do Nothing was assigned to work on a project that was semi-high profile. This was around the beginning of October. Well a few days in an email comes out from the client asking why no work was being done on the project. Apparently Mr Do Nothing decided the project was pointless and he wasn't going to do it!!!! OMG! Who does that!? So there was a mad scramble to cover for him (Oh yeah... he went on vacation right after the email came out) and of course I got dragged into it. (There is nothing I hate more than doing other people's work because they just will not do it!) I asked if Mr Do Nothing was going to be assigned back to this when he got back... response - "No, because he thinks its pointless." So I said, "he thinks everything is pointless!" Meaning is he going to just not do anything because he thinks it's all pointless?


Early this week I thought the ultimate meltdown may be avoided, because I was finally able to move my seat so I wouldn't have to see him "do nothing" all day long. Let's just say I counted my chicken's before they hatched :(

So I was on a high profile, high stress project. I have been working 10 + hours for the majority of this week, add on an hour + commute each way (1 night with a MARC train that was 30 minutes late), I wasn't eating dinner because I was too tired when I arrived home, and no running (aside from Monday). Needless to say I was not in a good place.

Yesterday I was on a tight deadline and trying to do 3 things at once when Mr Do Nothing thought now would be a good time to ask a question about another project that he found himself the sole resource on. He sent an email, I dumped some previous reports on him so that he could attempt to figure it out for himself. Since that entailed thinking and actaul work... no dice. He came by my desk and asked. I said, probably rather tersely (I'm not sure it's all a blur now), "I don't have time for this right now." He kept going and asked how I did something. My response... "I don't remember". Then it got so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Looking back I know I said that because I just wanted him to go away... and it worked!

If it didn't happen yesterday, it was bound to happen someother time, so I guess at least its out of the way. Now I can look forward to "team building" dorkiness ...

And I need to figure out how to work with someone I have no respect for and basically think is an idiot :-/

2 comments:

Lyss said...

That doesn't seem like a meltdown to me! You should have torn him a new one! Kick some ass!

michelle said...

lyss - you have no idea. he should have been torn a new one when he declared he wasn't doing work for the project he deemed pointless (and then the team got dinged because it). but i am not in a position to do the a$$ kicking... in fact after it happened i got a semi-"talking to" :/