June 9, 2009

O.M.G.

Last night I got my first estimate for replacing the windows in my house. I suspected that it was not going to go well when I submitted the online request for an estimate and my phone rang about 5 seconds later. But I wanted to get the process started so I when they said they could have someone at my house at 2:30, I replied that I wouldn't be home til 5:30, so they came back and said how about 6:30?

I said fine.

Got home around 5:20... ran a quick errand.. and was ready for them by 6:30.

About 15 minutes later the salesperson showed. With a huge stack of unorganized papers. We sat in my dining room. Kiss-ass talk ensued... "Cute House" , "How long have you been here".... blah blah blah. Then I noticed she had blood running down her arm!!!! Then I kept looking at it and she must have realized it , and said "Oh... I must have cut myself!" She cleaned herself up at my sink.

The we started talking about what I wanted, Why I wanted to replace the windows, and maybe I should do the doors too! I explained that the windows are original, some are cracked, some do not open, and they need to be replaced. Its my top priority. I further explained that I will do the doors at some point, but not now. Then I took her on a tour of the house. She told me she would measure and then give me the estimate... I was like Great!

She went outside and took some pictures. Brought in a big bag. Then started talking. And talking. About stuff that had nothing to do with windows. It was probabaly around 8:30 now. Then she started talking about the company. Fine. Then she started showing me pieces of windows. OK. The she started talking about doors again. I once again explained that I was NOT INTERESTED IN DOING THE DOORS! (Then she mentioned "Your garage needs lots of work" I replied Yes I know... and its on the list to do later. I am only interested in WINDOWS AT THIS TIME!!!!!) Then she started talking about security... and uttered a phrase that always boils my blood... "You are very young" Um lady ... you have no idea how old I am... yes I look young.... but I am not as young as you think!!!

She still hasn't measured. Its getting close to 9:30. I get up and mention... 10pm is my bedtime (This should indicate that I am OLD :P). She's like OK I will measure I am like great.. I need to take out the trash.

She measures... Its pushing 10:15 now.

Then she gives me the estimate. Verbally. I am like can you write it down? She writes it on the pamphlet for the doors. I get no literature about the windows. I was hoping for am estimate where the costs are somehow broken out by floor or something. Nothing. Its now 10:30. I am pushing her out the door.

She leaves. I go to bed.

This morning I find a "We appreciate your business" card (soaked by the rain), with a Windows magnet.... but still no details. (She is supposed to email it to me).

I hope this is not normal. I can not go through this 2 more times.........

Updated - After a 2nd experience getting an estimate with a 2nd company... that went much smoother, I am naming names... and writing a complaint letter to the first company -- Long Window. Avoid at all costs!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Lyss said...

Yikes! No that does not sound normal!!

Bilbo said...

Had this lady been at our house, she'd have been measuring the windows from the outside after the first 20 minutes. What a loser! I hope the others are better, and I wish I still had the name and info of the company that did our windows (about 15 years ago)...they were great.

vw - dingst: second person singular form of the verb meaning "to make a small indentation." Ex: "Thou dingst my car, thou moron!"

Anonymous said...

Tell salesperson you want a breakdown for cost of each window and labor. It can be done even if they said it cannot. Each window has its own price