July 20, 2008

Charity picked!

As part of my 101 in 1001 project I needed to pick a charity to donate the money collected for tasks not completed. I picked The Orphan Foundation of America. OFA's mission is to "Provide opportunities and resources for America's foster youth to pursue their education and succeed in life".

I knew I wanted to donate to an Educational or Human Services charity, but had no clue which one. I found them searching on Charity Navigator (this site is great it helps you see how charities spend their donations...optimally you would want to donate to a charity that has a very high percentage of Program Expenses ( ie over 90%) and minuscule Admin expenses).

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, we're honored that you chose OFA to donate to. (A google alert came to me about this.) Although we don't advertise or do a lot of public outreach, it seems a lot of people find our website through Charity Navigator or by hearing about it from someone else in the internet grapevine. Thanks for spreading the word on your blog! And good luck with that shoe shopping....

-Doug Sprei
Director Communications
Orphan Foundation of America
www.orphan.org